Thursday, March 6, 2014

Shopping Right

I love to shop. Who doesn't love to shop? I used to be very careless with my shopping habits. I would buy anything and everything, just because it was on sale or just because I really had to have it. 

My end result? Having lots of clothes with the tags still attached, that just piled up in my closet and took up space. 

Lately, I've actually taken my shopping habits very seriously, and I only buy things I must absolutely have and know I will wear.  

Here are some great points I factor in before I buy anything and I find they really help me when I'm deciding on am going to buy. 


TRY IT ON. Every body type is different, so when you're shopping for a blazer, for example, it's very very important to try it on. Clothing looks completely different on the hanger. You want to make sure the clothes fit your body type, and you feel comfortable and sexy in everything you wear. If you're not "Emotionally" attached to a piece, what's the point? You have to feel good in everything you wear. Style is Attitude.

TAKE RISKS and STEP OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE. If there is something you think you would never wear, or you think might not look good on you, try it on before you rule things out. Never say never because things can surprise you. Here's an experience I had recently… Crop tops drive me a bit crazy. My body isn't where it needs to be to even try and pull them off, and to be honest, I don't like showing my stomach, unless I'm at the beach. I recently went into Zara, and of course, every other hanger displayed a crop-top. I decided to step out of my comfort zone, and try on a light gray sleeveless  one. I paired it with a pencil skirt, and it actually looked really cute on. My stomach was not showing because the skirt was high-wasted. I ended up buying it, and honestly, I can't wait to wear it out. So don't rule things out just because  you have your mind made up on a certain "style" or certain "piece".    Who knew this yellow-and-orange-looking-Halloween-blazer-with-gold-fringe-coming-off-the-sleeves actually looks insanely fabulous on you?" Work that jacket girl. (Finger snap) Or crop-top, for that matter… 

DO YOUR RESEARCH. Go to outlets, find coupons online, wait for sales. These are the words I live by. There have been so many times I have walked into a store during a sale, or have gone to an outlet, and bought a blazer or a pair of jeans for pennies on the dollar. Looking good makes you feel good and looking good should not cost you a lot.  So when you get that "$500 Alexander Wang Classic Grey Blazer" for $80, you'll thank me later.

SPLURGE A TAD BIT. I am a huge fan of stores like Forever 21 and H&M and all of those online websites like Lulus and Modcloth, etc... These places are great for getting trendy pieces that you will wear five or six times and that's it (well maybe 7 or 8 times). But when it comes to buying classic pieces that will Grow With You, like a blazer or a nice handbag or shoes, focus on buying pieces that have quality and will last you for years.

QUESTION YOUR LOVE. There are so many times I have walked into a store and bought something because I "liked" it and the price was good and said to myself, "What the heck? Who doesn't need another pair of denim jeans or another black shirt?" Not a good idea - because that shirt or those jeans have either been donated or, are still hanging out in my closet with the tags on just waiting to be worn. As I mentioned above, you have to be "Emotionally" attached to a piece. Ask yourself, "Are you in love with it?" "Is it something you can't live without?" "Is it something you have to have or will you die if you don't get it?" (The last question might have been a bit dramatic, but you catch my drift?) Question your love and get emotional, because you don't want to buy things for the sake of buying them. What's the point of buying something if you're not going to enjoy it?

ACCESSORIZE, PERIOD. Accessories are a crucial part of my life. It sets the tone for your outfit and pulls your look together. It's the ying to your yang. It's the cream in your coffee. It's the butter on your popcorn. It's the turkey on Thanksgiving day. It's not just the cherry on top, its the whipped cream and sprinkles too. And the caramel and chocolate syrup. I think you get my point. It's so important to accessorize and to do it right. By doing it right, we mean not to "overdo it". For example, if you're wearing a statement necklace, go easy on everything else. You want the necklace to pull your look together. On the other hand, If you're wearing a statement necklace and throw on big earrings and wear lots of bracelets, and add a big cocktail ring, you've "distracted" your look. The focus is lost and there's no more "attention to detail", its "attention overkill". It's the attention you don't want. Remember to put some thought into the accessories that go into each outfit, because if you don't, the next time you'll be ordering some popcorn with your butter. Now who wants that?

EVERYONE is different and everyone's style is different. Do what works for you and feel good in what you will wear. Confidence equals style and Confidence is the best accessory. 

Always remember, there is no expiration date when it comes to confidence.... and confidence NEVER goes out of style. How up-to-date are you?

Rock it, Rock it Right, and Stay Fabulous
Blogged with Love By Trendy Mendy


GET SOCIAL WITH US:
Follow us on instagram @trendymendy, @p_joon, and @lovetrendymendy (www.instagram.com)
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook/shoptrendymendy.com (www.Facebook.com)

Follow us on Twitter @trendymendygirl (www.twitter.com)







No comments :

Post a Comment